Saturday, January 5, 2013

16 May 1973



MQ 44
Government Settlement
Republic Of Nauru
Central Pacific
16 May 1973

Dear Mum & Dad,

Isn’t it funny how these tiny islands can keep you busy & interested? I have had a hell of a week to date in some ways, in others I suppose it has been OK. To start the week, it appeared unsure as to whether I would get the Tokyo trip. I put the Tokyo account in order in about 2 ½ days as a special project outside the normal audit duties & the further I went the more it became obvious that the major fault lies with the Treasury Department on Nauru & not in the Tokyo office. On top of that, when the Chief Secretary put it to the President that I should be sent up he suggested that the Consul instead be brought down. This was to be expected for a number of reasons,
1.     He is mates with the President & all trips where possible go to Nauruans
2.     The President appears to have a pretty good time himself when he is in Tokyo & he is probably a bit nervous about somebody independent poking about in the Tokyo office records.

The Consul is due here tomorrow & I am to go through the loose ends with him & see if it can be finalised here. If it is still not possible at that stage to clean it up I will probably go back up with him.

As a result of the work I have done on the Tokyo account, some interesting things have happened, The Secretary for Finance was amazed at the short time it took for me to balance it up & while talking to him he maintained that with me in Treasury most of the problems would be over. He then saw the Chief Secretary, explaining what had happened & asked if he could offer me the job of Accountant in the Treasury. The Chief Secretary agreed & it was put to me. I have my reservations with the Chief Accountant in Treasury who is a bit of a peculiar bloke, which I mentioned to the Secretary for Finance. He is of the same mind about this particular bloke & said that a structure would be set up where I would be working independently to the Chief Accountant.

The salary range for Accountant is $6,000-$7,000 & I would commence at $7,000. I discussed it with Andy that night & decided to take it. The Secretary for Finance passed this on to the Chief Secretary who’s feet suddenly went a bit cold & he has been procrastinating ever since. He has given me a rather big job in the meantime to summarise the Annual Report of the Nauru Phosphate Royalties Trust for inclusion in the Government Gazette. It is to be signed by the President so a good job is required. I have an appointment for next Friday to see the Chief Secretary to discuss the shift to Treasury. Just a little bit more on the job of Accountant, if I do get it I will be Acting Chief Accountant for 3 months at the end of the year when the present CA goes on leave & I will be entitled to a higher duties allowance equal to an annual salary of $8,250. That’s about $690 per month for those 3 months with no tax to take out & no rent to pay.

Tomorrow is a public holiday for Constitution Day & all sorts of activities are planned. Fishing competition, sports meeting & a concert tomorrow night are the main ones. Tonight, Andy & I are off to State House for drinks with the President. It’s our first official invitation.

There isn’t much else to report. Frank, my assistant is still on leave. He dropped in to see me this morning; he only arrived back from Australia last night, his first trip off the island. He was amazed at a lot that he saw, but I still have to have a good talk to him as he was in a hurry.

I have signed up with the Institute of Chartered Secretaries  & Administrators & hope to sit for exams in December. There are 5 Sections in the course & with the accounting qualifications I will get exemptions from 3.

We are all well though my nerves are nearly shot with promise of all these good things suddenly to be covered in doubt. Won’t start another page.

Love to all,

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment