Tuesday, March 18, 2014

21 December 1973

Government Settlement
Republic Of Nauru
Central Pacific
21 December 1973

Dear Mum & Dad,

I am trying out my new Parker pen which I received for Christmas. We were very pleased to hear of Bruce & Gahey’s new son though rather disappointed we didn’t hear the news until 10th December. No doubt they are all settled into their new routine by now.

It really hasn't felt like Christmas here until this week, probably because in Australia at least you are aware the weather is getting hotter whereas here there has been no change. The goods available here over the last few weeks are almost unbelievable. The “Rosie D”, a 12,000 ton vessel in the Nauru fleet arrived from Japan about 2 weeks ago choc-a-block full of goodies for Christmas. About 40 Toyota cars arrived at almost give away prices. For example, a Toyota Crown Deluxe, including air-conditioning, radio, electric windows, automatic, etc.. for $2,700. Peter O’Dwyer (brother-in-law) paid $4,300 for the basic model. There are toys by the 1,000’s also at bargain prices, sound equipment (Akai & Sanyo) dollars below what they were previously on sale at.

To add to the confusion on the roads, the local Datsun dealer received about 15 cars & about 6 weeks ago a load of Falcons arrived. As there is only about 20 miles at the most of road it is very like city driving everywhere you go. The phosphate royalty cheques were distributed the other day for the quarter ended 30th September with some Nauruans receiving $20,000 to $40,000 so all in all there is an impression of affluence around the island.

Last Saturday was general election day (held every 3 years). I spent from 1 pm to 6 pm sitting under a palm frond shelter just over the road from the beach in my official capacity of Presiding Officer. I was also a scrutineer & spent from 6 to 10 pm counting votes. There were only 3 new members elected out of the 18 member parliament.

Shane continues to thrive & is a really beaut little kid. He can now support his own head & is smiling occasionally.

We have lost our neighbours on both sides as they have completed their contracts & left on a ship last Sunday. There has been quite an exodus of expatriates over the last few weeks.

I have accepted the position in Honiara & we will be leaving here in early February. Andy may travel down by ship a bit earlier. I will fly down as soon as my notice is finished. The problem is that at the end of a contract the Republic usually insists on sea travel. The chances of a ship leaving just after I have finished is pretty rare so I will have to make up the difference & fly down. I am really looking forward to a break as I haven’t had a break from work longer than a couple of days since the end of 1970. We hope to have about 2 weeks in Australia & a couple of days in Surfers on the way back to Honiara. I am sure the job there will be far more challenging than here & also better financially. Andy is keen to go so apart from the physical problem of shifting there doesn’t appear to be any reason why we shouldn't make the move. It also gives me the chance to cash in on leave I have accrued, i.e.. About seven weeks & only take two.

There must be more news but I will catch up with it next time. I want this to catch the mail.

All the best for Christmas, I will try & ring.

Love from the Nauru Tuers

Greg


No comments:

Post a Comment