Tuesday, March 18, 2014

4 December 1973

Government Settlement
Republic Of Nauru
Central Pacific
4 December 1973

Dear Mum & Dad,

My last letter probably came as a bit of a surprise but I have had my eye open for ages, which is natural I think even if just to see how your present job, salary etc. compares with what is around. This job was actually advertised in a New Zealand paper that I borrowed. I applied some time ago but in the first place they appointed an accountant from New Guinea because he was able to start straight away. He turned out a dead loss & is leaving just after Christmas.

These applications seem pretty harmless at the time, but now I really don’t know what to do. Statistically the jobs are similar. Because of the Republic Provident Fund contribution, if I stayed 3 years I would collect a bonus based on my present tax free salary of $6,250 + 5% = $6,562 & by June 1974 will be $6,500 + 5% = $6,825. Salary in Honiara initially is $8,000 – tax $1,120 = $6,880 & after 3 months increases to $8500 – tax $1,350 = $7,150. I’m sure that the salary increase in going to Honiara will be taken up by the extra duty on most items. Salary at Honiara would be subject to a 6 monthly review whereas here it is indefinite & can remain the same for years. All other benefits, house, medical, electricity etc. are identical. The house at Honiara is new & has a fantastic view but it is smaller & un-established. It is relatively isolated compared with here with only one house in front (down the ridge) & one higher. Although the trees grow very quickly, at the moment they are only 1’ – 2’ high. I think it would take a lot longer to fit in down there & not working with many Europeans getting to know people would take some time.

On the credit side are that it is tremendously interesting place, beautiful scenery, rivers, mountains, islands with plenty of places to go & things to do. Shopping would be much better for Andy. As far as the job is concerned it appears to be a challenge & I would have a lot of independence. Now I am bored & working for a bloke who is completely incompetent. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought of the odd trip to Melbourne (next one 18th January).

If I resigned from here on the 25th (exactly 12 months) & gave 2 months notice I will have fulfilled my part of the contract. The Republic will then have to pay all our expenses back to Melbourne. I could use this to get Andy, Darren & Shane back to Melbourne for a break before going to the Solomons. At that time I will have a leave entitlement of 7 weeks which I will take off the notice & only have to put in a week or so after 28th January. My main reason in hesitating is that I feel to go may be a bit selfish as personally I would enjoy the new job but I think initially at least the family would be disappointed. Andy is keen even after my description of the house but she didn’t go down & really can’t picture the place to make a comparison. Basically I think the place is a lot more like a big town after our community life here.

I had a very enjoyable weekend in Honiara & Ron McGuire & his wife looked after me very well. Friday night was a barbeque at the Mendana Hotel. Saturday morning was work followed by a tour of Honiara. Saturday afternoon Ron took for a drive to the end of the north road out of Honiara, the whole 43 miles. The bitumen only lasts about 4 miles & then its gravel. The road passes lots of villages (all the houses are of grass & on stilts), coconut plantations & jungle. The northern end of the island is quite mountainous & the road fords about 10 rivers as there aren’t any bridges. There are some beautiful sheltered bays along the way, white sand & surrounded with coconuts. The waters between Guadalcanal (the northern end) & the island of Savo, 6 miles away saw some of the heaviest naval battles of World War II.

Saturday night was a meal at a Chinese restaurant followed by a few hours at the Honiara Club. Sunday was pretty quiet & the plane was due at 4.30 pm. It was delayed & I was advised it would be in at 9.45 pm. I was then invited to a dinner that the McGuires were going to & left there at about 9.30 pm to go to the airport. Andy met me at the airport with a couple of kids sound asleep in the car.

So I really don’t know. I think we will probably go.

Tonight is our wind up dinner for Apex being held at the Meneng Hotel. They have a French chef there these days & the food is very nice (it’s a mixed night) I am on the Executive these days as treasurer. We still haven’t had any rain.

See you later,

Love Greg

PS. I have just received a firm offer by letter from Honiara. The present accountant has agreed to stay until early March. They are willing to recruit all of us from Melbourne so that if I accept we will all be able to spend a couple of weeks in Australia during late February.













































Love from the equatorial Tuers (Andy, Greg, Darren & Shane)



No comments:

Post a Comment