Wednesday, May 7, 2014

7 March 1974

Government Settlement
Republic Of Nauru
Central Pacific
7 March 1974

Dear Mum & Dad,

The mails to here have been a bit disrupted, mainly because of a special maintenance check on Air Nauru which had the plane sitting in Melbourne for a week. By now I presume Dad has had his operation. Andy & I were both thinking of you on Wednesday Dad & I hope that all is well. Distance at times like this is very frustrating & unfortunately an offer of “is there anything we can do” is useless. Keeping up the Chamber job would be a worry but Mum mentioned that she & Bruce were doing that.

We have changed our plans slightly. I saw the Chief Secretary last week & we now leave 2 weeks earlier than originally planned. That is the 15th March & not the 29th. I was really pleased with the decision because it now means that Andy & the kids can come down to Honiara with me & stay for 2 weeks & then continue to Melbourne. Andy will then have her own ideas on the place & the house etc. & know what she is coming back to. We should also be able to get the place reasonably organised during the 2 weeks. I think that it will keep Darren a bit more in prospective as well.

Our packing is as good as finished with only a few odd bits & pieces left. If anything is damaged in transit it won’t be our fault. We have new pine crates, lined with sisal craft & sealed with packing tape & before they leave they are to be banded with steel banding.

I know it is only a page but I want it to get in Friday’s mail.

Love to all & once again, I hope you are on the improve Dad,

Greg

PS. Bruce rang Thursday night to report on the success of Dad’s operation. He mentioned the further tests for which we all have our figures crossed.

















No comments:

Post a Comment